How We Teach
Ivy’s Approach for Success
Ivy Success tutoring/teaching engages through a four-step approach to build core academic skills in Math, English and other subjects.
Step 1: Diagnostic Testing and Goal-Setting Advising
- Determine student’s strengths and weaknesses in each subject area
- Set up a customized study plan to achieve each student’s goals and satisfy his/her academic needs (P or combination of P and S)
Step 2: Laying the Foundation for Each Subject Area
- Introduce and explain fundamentals of a new subject area (daily lesson topics)
- Ivy teachers encourage active responses from all students, and explain problem-solving strategies, especially for Math and Science topics.
- Have student exercise his/her understanding by applying what they have learned to basic problem solving under guidance.
Step 3: Reinforcing Understanding
- Encourage student to tackle new challenges
- Apply problem-solving strategies independently to advanced problems
Step 4: Individual Summary and Confidence
- Student makes own conclusive notes and strategies about the daily lesson topics learned
- Student enjoys achievement and newfound confidence.
Excellent Teachers and Instructional Delivery
Ivy’s rigorous interview process ensure our students get the well-qualified teachers. We train all teachers extensively before they start to teach at Ivy and continuously monitor their quality of teaching.
There are two different teaching/learning formats that Ivy offers:
- private tutoring (P): 1-2 students per tutor
- small group teaching (G): typically 3-6 students per teacher
For college-bound students who want to take a crash course in ACT or SAT test-prep, we recommend you combine these two formats to make an individualized study plan that fits your needs.
One-on-one tutoring (O) may be available as a special format of teaching.
We regularly report the student’s progress to parents and implement parents’ feedback.
Flexible Learning Schedule
Ivy’s flexible tutoring or small group teaching schedule will meet your demanding schedule.
Students who are enrolled in private tutoring (P) program can set up a weekly schedule, 2 hours per day for one subject or 4 hours per day for two subjects. Students are placed to the appropriate level or program based on their diagnostic test scores and their academic goals.
Each student’s customized study plan will determine his/her tutoring schedule at Ivy. Tutoring (P) schedules can be re-arranged by contacting the Ivy Office one day prior (e.g., by Friday 5 pm for Saturday tutoring sessions).
Students who are enrolled in small group teaching (G) can join any session which fits best to the parent and student if two or more same (or similar) sessions are provided weekly.